Sunday, August 18, 2019

Hiatus Mea Culpa







This blog entry is an opportunity for me to plead guilty to abstaining from social media for a long hiatus including neglecting this blog as well as platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. 


I'm not here to make apologies. Let me simply state that when one has a full time job, is a wife, and the mother of a teenager, running a non-profit (including said non-profit's social media) is going to end up at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of priorities.

Additionally, my artistic incentive arises from time spent being mindful of both my kinesthetic being and internal artistic process. Being "out there" on social media erodes this internal work.


Internal "do-nothing" time is crucial to deep reflection. It means feeling ripples that go inward as well as one that go outward.

In my defense, during this hiatus I have attended somatic conferences which included multiple classes and presentations on best practices as a somatic teacher as well as a presentation about the journey Fly-by-Night has taken over the course of offering our scholarship program for people of color over 10 years. These conference activities help guide me as an artist and a teacher only if I also take time to reflect on what I learned.

Some things I've been reflecting on:


1619 Project This important reporting by The New York Times is a series on how slavery was woven into the fabric of the United States. 












Cruel Optimism, a book by Lauren Berlant that discusses how the American Dream keep us from thriving.















How to successfully apply differentiation tools for maximum student growth and individual success. This has included a number of online essays but also the book Differentiation in the Elementary Grades.








Podcasts get me around NYC. Rather than the news, I listen to podcasts. Recently I went through the entire Season 3 of Serial
This investigative reporting hosted by Sarah Koenig, gives an in-depth look at what is often referred to as the "criminal justice system". If you make it through the whole series you will understand why some folks call it the "criminal system" (no justice).

FYI: it is very much related to the NY Times project mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment